The Civil Rights Movement celebrates its 50th Anniversary in 2014, with the theme: Civil Rights in America – 50 Years 1964-2014. February is African American History Month, and the Dreamers, Visionaries & Leaders (DVL) Project has announced its plans to celebrate with a series of programs, events and displays for the public to enjoy throughout the month.
On February 1, the sixth annual DVL Special 32-Page Publication will be inserted in the Daily Press. Don’t forget to pick up your copy, which will surely be something you’ll want to keep as a piece of memorabilia.
From February 3 through 28, a display designed by DVH, entitled Know Your History, will be on display at Victorville City Hall. View the display weekdays during standard City Hall business hours. The Community is encouraged to see this moving exhibition.
On February 8 at 1pm, DVL will present a tribute program at the Victor Valley College Performing Arts Center. The event recognizes 14 local citizens, and honors Lifetime Achievement Awardee, Mr. Garner Morris.
Special Guest Kenny Lattimore, an award winning recording artist and humanitarian, will act as Master of Ceremonies. The program is free to the community and will also feature the American Spring: A Cause For Justice, an Art Quilt Exhibition, by nationally recognized quilt artists, showing in the VVC Performing Arts Center gallery.
Visit the local San Bernardino County Libraries in Apple Valley and Hesperia for the following special Dreamers, Visionaries and Leaders events:
Apple Valley Branch: February 6 – Storytime with special guest.
- February 12- Special Event 4:30-6:00pm. DVL special guest speakers, music and crafts. Call the library for times and information at (760) 247-2022.
- February 4 – Storytime with special guest.
- February 20 – Special Event, 5:30-7:00pm. Performer hired to present show, DVL special guest speakers, music and crafts. Call Hesperia Library for more information and event times at (760) 244-4898.
Other Events Happening in February:
- February 1 (Sat) – Herbalife Weight loss Challenge Orientation. 2pm. United Methodist Church, 18623 Main St., Hesperia 92345. Please RSVP to Deletta (760) 662-6847.
- February 1 – (Sat) – An Evening of Comedy & Magic Variety Show, 7:30 pm. Amazing performers, illusions, magic & fun from the world famous Hollywood Magic Castle. Arthur Trace’s unbelievable deceptions. amazing comedian Joel Ward, hilarious inventions by Eric Buss and Master of Illusions Brandon Scott will wow and entertain you with family friendly fun, laughter and magic. All award winning artistes performing all over the world. Fun-filled evening of amazing mysteries. Gen. Adm. $20; Seniors, Students & Children: $10. VVC PAC. Website: www.vvc.edu/offices/performing_art/events.shtml
- February 2 (Sun) – Groundhog Day
- February 5 (Wed) – Valley Morning Insight, Victor Valley Chamber member breakfast. 7:30am-8:30am. Reservations required, fee for breakfast. (760) 245-6506.
- February 8 (Sat) – Hall of Fame, Victor Valley College Foundation distinguished service awards dinner. Hilton Garden Inn. Call Jesika Pomponio at (760) 245-4271, Email email@example.com
- February 9 (Sun) – Traveling the Mother Road, a 2,000 mile cinematic journey by Jodie Ginter. America’s main street explores drive-inns, gas stations, museums, quirky roadside attractions & people. Americana at it’s finest! Today, visitors come from all over the globe to travel what some call the most magical road in the world. Passport Travel Series. 2:30 p.m., VVC PAC Complimentary intermission refreshments served & meet the filmmaker. $8.50 Gen. Adm. Season Passes avail. (760) 617-1448.
- February 11 (Tues) – Auditions for Senior Talent Showcase. Victor Valley College PAC 12 noon. Obtain an application in advance Mon-Fri. 8:30am-5pm, Heritage Victor Valley Medical Group, 12370 Hesperia Rd., Suite 13, Victorville. Call 800-251-8191 ext. 240.
- February 14 (Fri) – Valentine’s Day
- February 15 (Sat) – Pancake Breakfast at Applebee’s. 8-10am. Tix $10. Benefits Knights of Columbus Council #4228. Jess Ranch, Apple Valley. Benefits charities which are many. Tickets at door or in advance from Van Tribble (760) 240-9465.
- February 16 (Sun) – VV Concert Assoc. Laurie Rubin, Mezzo Soprano, 2:30pm, VV College Performing Arts Center. Ticket info (760) 961-0486.
- February 17 (Mon) – Presidents’ Day. Gov’t offices, banks, post offices closed.
- February 18-20 & 24-27 (Mon-Thur) – Dreamers, Visionaries & Leaders “Know Your History” Display. Community is encouraged to see this “moving” exhibition/display, M-Th 7:30am-5:30pm. Victorville City Hall, 14343 Civic Dr, VV 92392. (760) 242-2487 or visit www.dvlproject.com
- February 25 (Tues) – State of Education Address, by County Supt. Gary Thomas, 3:30-4:30pm. Calif. Theater of Performing Arts, 562 W 4th St, San Bernardino, CA 9240, (909) 386-7361.
- February 28, and March 1,2,7,8,9 – RENT, play. Victor Valley College Theatre Arts &Music Departments. Based on Puccini’s La Boheme, depicts friends living Bohemian modern day East Village, New York City,, dealing with love, loss, AIDS in a truly powerful story. Winner of four 1996 Tony Awards including best musical. VV College PAC. 760-245-2787. www.vvc.edu/pacevents
Go to the Calendar page on this website for more information on these and other upcoming events.